#186 Siân Jones: An Enlightened Approach to Blockchain Regulation in Gibraltar
Support the show, consider donating:
Our regulatory expert Siân Jones joined us to discuss her work on a regulatory framework for distributed ledger technology (DLT) for Gibraltar. We discuss how the framework differs from other efforts and aims to attract rather than curtail blockchain businesses. We also covered why the rapid changes require the flexibility of a principle-based approach to regulation. Finally, we discussed current trends around ICOs and how they could be impacted by regulation.
Topics covered in this episode:
- How the Gibraltar DLT Regulatory Framework came about
- How Gibraltar’s approach differs from others like BitLicense
- Why a principle-based approach is preferable for technology regulation
- Why the framework focuses on custodial services, not decentralized protocols
- The path from proposal to regulation
- Recent trends in how ICOs are conducted
- Why principle-based regulation could improve the ICO market
This episode was hosted by Brian Fabian Crain & Sébastien Couture, and is availble on YouTube, SoundCloud, and our website.