#167 Peter Harris: Democratizing the Music Industry with the Streaming Music Cooperative Resonate
Support the show, consider donating:
After the successful Ethereum crowdfunding campaign, musician and web developer Peter Harris saw a path to creating a fair, decentralized music streaming platform. Out of that Resonate was born. Peter joined us to discuss why the dysfunctional structure of the music industry results in a bad deal for musicians and why a decentralized platform supported by blockchain technology and run as a cooperative represents a better way forward.
Topics covered in this episode:
- How technology changed the ability of musician’s to make money
- Why streaming platforms don’t compensate musicians fairly
- The story of how Peter came to found resonate
- Why Stream-to-Own is a better way to compensate artists
- Why Resonate chose to build on BigchainDB
- The benefits of the cooperative structure for decentralized platforms
- The Resonate crowd-owning campaign
This episode was hosted by Brian Fabian Crain & Meher Roy, and is availble on YouTube, SoundCloud, and our website.