#107 Gideon Greenspan: MultiBit – The Blockchain is a New Database Paradigm
Support the show, consider donating:
Gideon Greenspan, a computer scientist and CEO/Founder of the Israeli startup Coin Sciences, joined us for a discussion of their private blockchain platform MultiChain. Besides diving into the popular question of what’s the point of a private blockchain, we covered his earlier colored coins implementation as well as his view that blockchains are best understood as a novel database paradigm.
Topics covered in this episode:
- How Gideon got involved in the blockchain space
- Their colored coins implementation MultiSpark and why it failed to get traction
- Why he saw a market for an open-source private blockchain platform and started MultiChain
- What mining diversity is and how it is used for consensus in MultiChain
- How permissions work in MultiChain
- The issues of privacy in blockchains and why you can’t have auditability and privacy
- How private blockchains differ from regular distributed databases
- The five criteria to decide if a project needs a blockchain
- The problem he sees with smart contract blockchains
This episode was hosted by Brian Fabian Crain & Sébastien Couture, and is availble on
and our website.