328: 7 Steps to Better Business Networking
(click to tweet)
No matter how important you think that networking is, you’re probably underestimating the real value of it. It’s so valuable that you almost can not place enough importance on it. But the way that you network is incredibly important. There is a right way and a wrong way, and on today’s episode I’m telling you what the right way is so that you get the most out of this essential aspect of business.
First of call, don’t worry about email, get phone numbers whenever you can, so that you can text with people. In 2017, texting is where the attention is, and so that is where you should be too.
Listen to the rest of this episode to get all 7 steps to becoming a better business networker.
(click to tweet)
Points to Keep In Mind
- It’s not what you know, it’s who you know
- A certain minimum amount of extroversion will make you happier
- If you isolate yourself too much, you will not be as happy as you could be
- If you want to make money, you’re going to have to network even if you’re an introvert
- Diversify who you learn from
- Always hire people who have skills that you can’t teach
- Organisms that only learn through trial and error tend to die out
- Anyone who is hard to talk to is probably not worth talking to
- Think of yourself as a goldminer, going through life looking for the nuggets of truth you can find from anyone
The 7-Steps to Better Business Networking
- Realize that you are underestimating the power of business networking
- If you are not good at networking, attach yourself to someone who is good at it
- Get phone numbers instead of emails
- Don’t be crazy about follow ups
- Follow the reciprocation rule: Speak their language, respect the way that they communicate, and follow those general rules
- Leave them hungry for more of you. Don’t be afraid to let them be the last person who texted you
- Go to places that are somewhat unexpected for who you are and what you do. Try to cross-pollinate. Focus less on what the event is, but more on how sharp the people are