RR 354: Music, Musicians, and Programmers with Catherine Meyers
- Charles Max Wood
- Dave Kimura
- Eric Berry
- David Richards
Special Guests: Catherine Meyers
In this episode of Ruby Rogues, the panel discusses music, musicians, and programmers with Catherine Meyers. Catherine is a software engineer at Mavenlink in San Francisco and is a co-organizer of a meet-up called Women Level Up. Before getting into coding, she was actually an opera singer. They talk a lot about why she decided to change her career and how she came to be a successful coder after being a singer for many years.
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- Check out React Dev Summit
- Catherine intro
- Previously an opera singer
- How did you decide to get into programming?
- Who she performed for and where she performed
- Her friends suggested she start coding
- Tips to help those not interested in coding give it a chance
- Coding is like solving a puzzle
- Coding boot camps to facilitate a career change
- Flatiron School
- The importance of resilience
- Ruby Conf
- The ability to communicate with many different typed of people
- Do musicians have an advantage as a developer?
- Patterns in Rails
- How can music make you a better coder?
- Your brain as a musician
- Is there a correlation with brain activity and listening to music?
- Different music affects different people
- And much, much more!