RR 358: Code Automation
- Charles Max Wood
- Dave Kimura
In this episode of Ruby Rogues, the panel discusses code automation. They talk about how automating things tends to make them more efficient and speed the time up it takes to complete them. In a world where time is precious, it’s important to automate anything you can so that you can save yourself valuable time and money. They also touch on the importance of having a structure and a consensus among the company in order to have the best productivity and the pros and cons of using “sprints”.
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- The more automated things are, the more efficient they tend to be
- What can we automate and delegate to make work easier?
- Why do you think people are having trouble filling senior positions?
- Retention is a problem among companies
- Companies need to be more aggressive with incentives to keep people they want to stay
- There are more jobs every day and not enough people are being trained fast enough
- People leave companies because their priorities don’t match up with the job priorities
- Agile processes
- What is DevOps?
- Make sure everyone understands the process
- The importance of structure
- Without structure, conflicts are going to arise
- Merge conflicts
- Planning out the “sprint”
- The pros and cons to “sprints”
- Velocity is a planning tool only
- Test runners
- TypeScript, CoffeeScript, and ES6 build processes
- What to do when the “sprint” timeline doesn’t match up with your actual performance?
- And much, much more!