MRS 041: Marla Brizel
Panel: Charles Max Wood
Guest: Marla Brizel
This week on My Ruby Story, Charles talks to Marla Brizel. Marla works at Test Double and has been programming full time for the past four years. She first got into programming when she got a job at a startup where they helped her learn how to program for herself and she fell in love with it. They talk about her background as a project manager and the importance of empathy for the user. They then touch on how she got into Ruby and things that she is particularly proud of contributing to the Ruby community.
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- Marla intro
- How did you first get into programming?
- Has been working in tech for the past decade
- Working at a startup
- What was it about coding made you want to make the switch?
- Likes that there are always more puzzles to solve
- You can always be learning new things in the programming world
- Get a Coder Job Course
- Code is the easy part of the job
- How programming has progressed over the years
- Test Double
- Project management background
- How did you wind up as a project manager?
- Building empathy for the user
- How did you get into Ruby?
- Girl Develop It
- Why Ruby?
- Ruby reads like English
- How did you wind up at Test Double?
- The value of conferences
- What have you done with Ruby that you are proud of?
- Denver Startup Week
- Ruby on Rails
- And much, much more!