RR 363: Fir - The Friendly Interactive Ruby REPL with Dean Nasseri
- Dave Kimura
- Eric Berry
- Catherine Meyers
Special Guests: Dean Nasseri
In this episode of Ruby Rogues, the panelists talk to Dean Nasseri about Fir. Fir is the friendly interactive Ruby REPL that Dean created when he was inspired by the REPL Fish. Dean is a software engineer at VTS, which is a commercial real estate software platform that uses Ruby on Rails. They talk about why he created Fir, how he approached creating it, how long it took him to build, and much more!
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- Dean intro
- What is Fir?
- Inspired by Fish REPL
- Interactive approach
- Does that work with multi-lines?
- Quick lookup
- What’s your favorite way to use Fir?
- Use REPLs for everything
- Pry vs Fir
- How did you approach creating a REPL?
- Looked at Pry a lot hen creating Fir
- Ruby Under a Microscope by Pat Shaughnessy
- Do you have a lot of users of it?
- Wants to direct people to Fish
- Why would someone switch to Fish?
- Oh My ZSH
- Auto suggestions are killer
- How much time did this take you to build?
- What kind of terminal do you use?
- And much, much more!
- Utah Hospitals