MRS 045: Catherine Meyers
Panel: Charles Max Wood
Guest: Catherine Meyers
This week on My Ruby Story, Charles talks to Catherine Meyers. Catherine first got into programming after a significant career change from being an opera singer to being a developer. Friends of hers suggested that she begin a programming career and she hasn’t looked back since. They talk about boot camps, such as Flatiron School, the importance of life-long learning, how she got into Ruby, and why she loves the language so much.
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- Ruby Rogues Episode 354
- Newest member on the Ruby Rogues Panel
- How did you first get into programming?
- Relatively new to programming
- Career change from opera singer to programmer
- Didn’t grow up thinking she would be a programmer
- Friends pushed her to programming
- Taught herself HTML
- Used Codeacademy, Team Treehouse, and Code School
- Boot camps
- Rejected from Flatiron School originally
- Not everyone gets into code the same way, and that’s okay
- Coding takes hard work
- No successful programming career is automatic
- The importance of life-long learning
- How did you get into Ruby?
- Ruby is such a fun and great language to start with
- High-level language
- Full-stack developer
- Red Antler
- Bias towards front-end development
- 2 types of front-end development
- Talk to people of different backgrounds
- And much, much more!