Two 80,000 Hours researchers, Robert Wiblin and Howie Lempel, record an experimental bonus episode about the new 2019-nCoV virus.
See this list of resources, including many discussed in the episode, to learn more.
In the 1h15m conversation we cover:
• What is it?
• How many people have it?
• How contagious is it?
• What fraction of people who contract it die?
• How likely is it to spread out of control?
• What's the range of plausible fatalities worldwide?
• How does it compare to other epidemics?
• What don't we know and why?
• What actions should listeners take, if any?
• How should the complexities of the above be communicated by public health professionals?
Here's a link to the hygiene advice from Laurie Garrett mentioned in the episode.
Recorded 2 Feb 2020.
The 80,000 Hours Podcast is produced by Keiran Harris.
📆 2020-01-15 01:44 / ⌛ 03:51:13
📆 2020-01-08 07:27 / ⌛ 01:25:10
📆 2019-12-23 23:24 / ⌛ 02:49:12